Thursday, August 15, 2013

8.15.2013...

yesterday morning i woke early, unable to sleep...likely from the excitement of starting my new job....i found myself looking for something specific i had pinned on pinterest - 52 key bible verses to memorize - i set it aside a couple weeks ago thinking it would come in handy at some point.  i looked through the various verses listed...many i was familiar with, a few i knew almost by heart...but one stood out above them all:

colossians 3: 12-15 "...clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  bear with each other...forgive as the Lord forgave you...let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts..."

i looked at others, but my heart kept going back to these words, drawn in a way i haven't been drawn to a passage of scripture in quite some time.  it's not hard for me to imagine why i was so drawn to these words...with the spectrum of my new role, i felt like God was reminding me (and maybe preparing me) to be compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and patient...and it is His command to bear with (lend a hand, offer support, simply just be there, help carry a burden) one another in moments of suffering or trials...i have always said it's not my job to judge anyone, but it is my job to forgive even if only because He has forgiven (and continues to forgive) me...and, lastly, it's no secret i'm a smidge high-strung and anxious so just reading the words "let the peace of Christ rule in your (in MY) heart" is very comforting to me - if i allow my thoughts to stop long enough to really meditate on it.

i was starting to think i couldn't hear Him anymore, couldn't feel Him, couldn't sense His direction for my life...i would look at my bible and not even open it the past few months, never once feeling the urge to look there for guidance even when i was really needing it.  i felt so disconnected...yet had zero motivation to do anything about it.  but, just as is always the case...just when i need it the most, my eyes...my heart...are opened and i can feel again and i'm reminded i'm not on this journey alone.

i find myself surrounded by people who believe in the power of grace, who seek to serve, who see the world around them and want to do something to make it better...one family...one life at a time.  i know God is working through them, through me...again...finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment