Tuesday, June 19, 2012

father's day...

there are some amazing men in my life...fathers, dads, grandpas...exceptional examples of what it takes to raise little people and to then continue loving and encouraging us not so little people. some of these men have been in my life forever, and some i've met over the years, but each have taught me something...each influenced me in valuable ways.

i went to lathrop sunday...spent the day with the man who loved me first, the man who showed me what true unconditional, Christ-centered love means. i walked into our church, sat with my sister, and spent most of the service thinking of him...of all the ways i've seen him in that building over the course of my life...of all the words he's shared...and all of the silent ways he has spoken to me. he's not perfect by any means, made his share of mistakes and quietly owns up to them when asked. in the same respect, he has given the three of us room to mess up...space to create our lives, ready on the sidelines to help us back up if we stumble. he is quick with a smile and slow to criticize, smart and witty, yet humble and kind. his love has carried me when i was certain i mattered to no one...gently encouraging me to stand back up and live my life.

we spent the afternoon together at the lake...and it was perfect. his happiness is one of simple indulgences...working in the shop, taking communion on sunday, hearing his grandchildren laugh...and watching his daughters...stopping whatever he's doing to listen to us, even if we're rambling or stumbling over each other as we often do. his blue eyes were full of contentment sunday...sitting in that lawn chair...beer in hand...surrounded by the people he loves most in this world...telling stories and laughing like i haven't heard him laugh in a long time. it was his happiness that mattered most in those moments, his smile i loved seeing the most...it was such a good day...one we couldn't recreate if we tried, but one i'll remember always i'm certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment