Monday, December 10, 2012

12.10.2012...

the conversation went like this...

him:  "how do you know the (insert name of long-time family friend i had just ran into in the cafeteria)?"
me:  "i'm from lathrop."
him:  "you are?  what year did you graduate?"
me:  "yes.  1995.  why?
him:  "me too.  class of '82.  what's your maiden name?"
me:  "canaday."
him:  "wait...do you know the brothers...the canaday brothers?"
me:  "yes...that's my dad.  jack's my dad..."
him:  "i took care of your grandmother...i was in home health/hospice before employee health and she was my patient.  the boys were so good to her, her sons...your dad."

at this point i was beside myself.  speechless.  this man who had given me a tb test, who i said hello to in the halls numerous times, who was just another employee...had taken care of gran...spent those last couple months visiting her, caring for her.  and, in that moment a little piece of me broke.  yet, at the same time, i felt almost like she was in the room with us and i didn't want the moment to end.

me:  "you knew her...my gran?  you were there, with her...?"
him:  "yes...she was always standing in the kitchen cooking something.  always in that same spot.  she had such a laugh and her eyes twinkled."
me:  (trying desperately to keep it together) "she did.  she was amazing."
him:  "yes, she was.  the world just got a whole lot smaller, in a good way."

he could tell i was close to tears and apologized for upsetting me.  i told him that, no, i wasn't sad...it was a good moment and i was happy to know that such a kind person had helped care for her. it was a brief conversation.  a couple minutes at most.  but, i left that room knowing that she had been there with us.  and, tonight, i miss her so much.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment